Thursday, April 16, 2009

Some happenings in Italy

I have come to find that Italian is not only a tricky language, but also a strange one. Literal translations can be maddening.  For instance. . . 

I have met a lot of people in the small town I am staying at.  I occasionally visit the downtown area, and meet two girls-Paola and Nadia for a drink.  Even when I first met them, they constantly asked me if I had stories back home in the U.S.

I found this very peculiar, since I didn't think stories were that region-specific, nor did I think 30-year old women would be that interested in stories.  So I kept answering 'yes' and told them such stories like "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "Cinderella".  Each time, the women looked completely dumbfounded, and confused.  They would laugh, and would mutter things in Italian.

I kept this up, until I finally met someone who's English was a bit better and filled me in on a secret--that a "story" was the literal translation that meant relationships.  

They were asking me if I was SINGLE, and like a dumbass american, I told them the tale of the Woman Who Lived in a Shoe.

They think I am completely insane, this is not so different from back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment